Thursday 29 May 2014

Website / Person

CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES

170 words

1.Write about a career-related website that you enjoy visiting.

You should:-

  • provide a link
  • describe the website (sections, features,etc)
  • say how often you visit the site
  • explain why you like the site.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.Who is a person/expert on your field that you admire?

Say:

  • Who she/he is.(short biography)
  • What she/he has done. (examples of their work)
  • Why you like her/him.
  • Include his/her image


Well. I suppose the career related website that I visit most is the Guardian newspaper.

It's the website of a famous broadsheet newspaper in the UK. Politically it has traditionally positioned itself a little left-of centre. My uncle says it's for poofs and teachers. I started reading it at University and I haven't stopped since.


I visit the site every day, it's one of the pages that opens automatically when I connect to the internet. It's the only site I use to check on British news. I like it because it's completely free, well made and well designed and I generally agree with the opinions the writers have.

It also has quite a lot of international news which can be uncommon for British newspapers and has great sports coverage. The sports writers regularly make me laugh out loud because they all write with an attitude that says, sport is a silly triviality, despite being experts in the area and despite clearly having dedicated their entire lives to it.

There are also forums to leave comments and argue with uninformed idiots you'll never meet, and there are podcasts, programs in an mp3 format to download and listen to.

Online newspapers are struggling to make their businesses work but I really hope this page continues. I think it's probably the only web page I would be willing to pay for. Maybe.





No comments:

Post a Comment