Monday 26 May 2014

Homework post

Here are the details of the post you agreed to do for homework. Sorry for the delay.

Write about a photograph you like.

Say:
Who took it
What it shows
When it was taken
Why you like it
Upload it too
Include any other information you'd like to mention.Write at least 150 words.


At last. One of my favourite subjects. 

My father is a photographer so I have been surrounded by photos and cameras all my life. I nearly always carry a camera with me. At the moment I have a Canon G15 (a wonderful machine), my cell-phone (which is great for taking random photos of every-day life) and a GoPro. 

Right now I'm trying to improve my photography: Working with RAW images and trying to think about the image. This is one I took in Tierra Del Fuego in the summer.



I have lots of favourite photos. Some taken by my friends and family, some by myself. On this blog I'd like to talk about a photo called Migrant Mother by a photographer called Dorothea Lange.


Lange was taking photos during the great depression in the USA. This was a time when economic crises and poor management of the land forced hundreds of thousands of people to migrate west to California. They didn't have money or food and had to kill birds and scrounge vegetables to eat. Thousands died. 

The photo shows a mother, probably young but with a face hard with experience. Her two children bury their heads in her neck. It's an incredibly strong image and I think I like it because it looks a little like my mother, though she probably wouldn't appreciate me saying so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment